Try out this breathing technique that can help you to relax and reduce stress and anxiety. You can do it anywhere, anytime. This technique can not only ease the mind and body, but it may even re-energise your system, helping you to feel refreshed and enlivened.
It’s called the 4-7-8 breath.
- Sit, stand, or even lay on your back and maintain an upright spine.
- Close your mouth and breathe in through your nose for the count of 4.
- Hold your breath for the count of 7.
- Gently exhale out through your mouth for the count of 8.
- Repeat and be aware of your natural rhythm.
There are a couple of things to keep in mind when doing this technique. First, remember to be gentle with your breath. Your breath shouldn’t be noticeably loud to those around you. You may experience a stronger exhale, but if you’re going to the count of 8, the breath should be quiet and balanced. Second, it doesn’t matter at what speed you count, just as long as you keep the ratio of 4-7-8. The speed may change throughout the practice as your breath changes, which will indicate your body and mind coming into balance.