The heart chakra is the space of love. This is where you nurture, where you practice compassion, where you give and receive. While there are many physical ways to open the heart chakra in a yoga class, there are many other ways you can nurture and treat your heart off the mat.
- Practice heart-centred breathing. Be aware of the breath in your chest. Imagine that every breath you take is massaging the space around your heart. Take 5 full breaths like this.
- Smile. Smiling is a symbol of compassion for yourself and for others. Let your heart shine through your facial expression with a smile.
- Live with open arms. Be aware of times when you cross your arms in front of your body. See if you can allow yourself in those times to relax your arms down by your side and be open.
- Give hugs. As arms are extensions of the heart, hugs are expressions of the heart. Two people hugging are like two hearts hugging.
- Allow gratitude in your day. Sometimes we get so used to things, that we forget what a miracle everything really is. Let your heart lift you into seeing the subtle details of everyday life. Enjoy all the people, places, and events that make up your day.